Flatline Poem About Dying And Living

FLAT LINE


My eyes are open, or are they?

My heart is beating, isn’t it?

My spirit feels trapped,

My mind boxed in.



Caged and frantic I feel out of control

Lost and alone, longing for reprieve.

The world around imposing limits

And confinements abound.



I can’t feel the breath enter and leave

Only the emptiness in between

My legs are weak and will not hold me

As I fall weeping to the ground.



Strength has left me, replaced with disregard

The will to fight is only an idea now

A trait I used to know inside of me,

Now only stagnation swirls around.



Words fail me, and escape through the cracks

Inspirations dying like the leaves on the trees;

Falling, spinning without a net,

As it meets with the cold hard unyielding earth below.



They search for a pulse, just

A simple sign of life

But what they do not yet know

Is that where life once flowed

Is now just a flat line;

A surrendering white flag from my soul.



Closing my eyes I hear the sound,

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Inhaling one more time, I let go

And exhale a final time

Before the sound just turns to

Silence and all that exists

Is a flat line where life once was.



©2013.NOVEMBERGOLD.All Rights Reserved.



Comments