Overcoming Racism and Prejudice- What are we Teaching? What are welearning?

There is still too much racism and prejudice going on. How do we overcome? What are We Teaching; What are we Learning?




I’ve been involved in some very intense topics of ethics lately with friends. It’s left me with a lot on my mind, and a lot that I want to say to all of us as a whole.

Let me first say that I am FIRM believer in a Higher Power, I am a FIRM believer in FAITH, I pray each day, I teach my children about being spiritual beings, about Loving and Trusting in a power greater than themselves, and I do that not by preaching it, but by LIVING it each and every day.

When issues of race, interracial relationships, same sex marriage, abortion etc….come up, I am not usually one to jump head first into those discussions because of the passion that I feel behind them, and oftentimes I am taken as too intense and fierce in my stand on certain things. Well, here’s the thing….I am intense, I am passionate and I will continue to fight’ til my last breath for the equality and unity of us as a people. With that being said, I’m going to open up a discussion and express my views, because I can, and because it’s through open dialogue and intelligent conversational exchange that we learn and we grow as human beings.

The year is 2013….we ended slavery generations ago. Or did we? I look around me and realize that we still enslave one another on a daily basis with our biases and narrow minded actions. Its high damn time we stop looking at the color of our skin and using it to justify ourselves in any kind of way. I am a white woman that dates men, for the past several years, black men. Two very important women in my life today have both expressed racial narrow minded attitudes and stereotypes. I have worked hard to maintain my cool despite their ignorance, but today…I’m thinking that we all need to confront the dysfunctional views around us, and I for one, am tired of justifying my choices just because of the color of someone’s skin. For those that want to push the Bible at me, and step on a soapbox because they are “people of faith” I want to say to you….What kind of God do you worship?  I will not buy into the notion that the Loving God that I pray too would/will condone judgment and ridicule of another human being. He/She created us. We were created to love one another. I was not raised to differentiate people based on the color of their skin, although the society I live in has worked so hard to place those limitations in my mind. I will not tell you that I don’t NOTICE the color of a black man’s skin when I see him….I do notice, because it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. To the eye of a photographer, contrast is important, it’s absolutely vital for a good shot. When I see the contrast of his skin with mine, I see the beauty that lies there. The sensual contrast of light and dark; from a physical standpoint that is the ONLY difference I accept. From a mental, spiritual aspect, there is no difference in a man just because of the color of his skin. He is a man no matter how many different ways you turn it, and when cut, we all bleed red.

Shame on us for raising our children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews in ways that make them separate people in any way!  Shame on us for perpetuating the ugliness of the world!  SHAME on us!  Martin Luther King died trying to teach us about unity as a people, he died trying to teach us to love each other, especially our enemies.

Shame on us for still perpetuating racism and hostility in the world because we are too narrow minded and afraid to let change happen, and to accept that we are not superior to anyone.

Men can cheat, lie, steal, get arrested, do drugs, molest children and abuse their wives, and men can love with all they have as well and be true and faithful and real;

and I promise you that the color of his skin does not make a difference.

©2013.NOVEMBERGOLD.All Rights Reserved.

Comments